Tuesday, June 10, 2008

the 3g iPhone - so?

(Disclaimer: I'm not an Apple employee, nor do I write for any Mac magazines/tech publications/etc.)
Steve Jobs announced the 3g iPhone today at the 2008 WWDC (WorldWide Developer's Conference). My reaction? "Well, it's nice, but it isn't going to change my life". (Sorry, Steve! Well, no, not really.) Why? Part has to do with how I use technology. I don't NEED to be texting all day every day. I don't NEED to have web access on my phone (I do however need to take a break from the web!). I don't NEED to be spending $100/month for cell phone service for one phone! (OK - I do spend close to that, but that's for THREE phones - and I pay by the message for texting because I'd rather spend $2.00 a month for the few that I get/send versus $5 or $10/month for a capability that I won't use.) Call me cheap - but I'd rather spend the bucks on groceries...or gasoline. What's nice about the new iPhone?
  1. The user interface - wicked simple to work
  2. Web access, especially using the 3g network.
  3. The flush-mount headphone jack. You gotta admit that Apple at least changes something when they mess it up - the recessed headphone jack in the original iPhone was a mistake.
  4. The lower price
So why won't I be getting one, even at $199?
  1. I don't need it. The little dinky LG phone I'm using has served me well, and it does what I need it to do.
  2. I don't need to spend the money on something that is "cool", but adds little to functionality to my life as it stands.....and would add complexity.
Yeah, it's a nice gadget. But I've gotta go buy milk instead.